The licensing period begins April 1 and ends March 31 of the following year. Licenses are sold year-round, with new licenses available for purchase in the City Clerk’s Office in March of the new licensing year.
2021 licenses will be available on March 15, 2021. Due to Covid-19, walk-in service will be available on the first day from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. in the Government Center Lobby. After such time, an appointment will be required to purchase licenses in person. All forms of payment are accepted.
- Valid veterinarian’s certificate, indicating unexpired rabies vaccination and current Fall River address
- $15 fee for unneutered male and unspayed female dogs
- $10 fee for neutered male and spayed female dogs, with veterinarian’s certificate
- $5 mail processing fee for mailed or online requests
Under Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 140, Section 139, any dog owner 70 years of age or older is entitled to a free license with proof of age.
After the first day, licenses may be purchased in person by calling 508-324-2220 to schedule an appointment, by mail or online on the City Clerk’s Online Payment Center.
To ensure timely processing of mailed requests, please:
- Include check or money order payable to the City of Fall River with exact license and mail processing fees
- Mail request to City Clerk, One Government Center, Fall River, MA 02722