Death Benefits for Family Members – Information and Resources under M.G.L. c.115
The following dependents of veterans (may) qualify for chapter 115 benefits:
- Spouse of the Veteran.
- Widow or widower of the Veteran.
- Dependent parent of the Veteran.
- Any person who acted as a parent to the Veteran for five years immediately preceding the commencement of veterans WARTIME service.
- Child of a veteran until his or her 19th birthday.
- Child of veteran between 19 years and 23 years of age while the child is attending high School; an institution of higher learning or some other accredited educational institution provided that the applicant is in receipt of benefits under the provisions of M.G.L. C.115.
- Child of Veteran 19 years of age or older who is mentally or physically unable to support himself or herself and was affected by the disability prior to his or her 18th birthday.
- Legally adopted children of the Veteran.
Bonuses and Annuities
Massachusetts provides a bonus to veterans of certain campaigns who were living in Massachusetts immediately prior to entry in the armed forces. In case of the death of a veteran, the spouse and children, mother or father, brother or sister, or other dependents of the deceased veteran (in that order) are eligible for a bonus.
State and federal veterans’ benefits are available to the dependents (spouse, children, parents) of eligible veterans.