The Division began delivering water to the Fall River public in 1874 following three years of water main, pumping station, and standpipe construction.
The now-historic standpipe is still visible at the highest point of Bedford Street.
Today the Division supplies an average of 11 million gallons of purified water to the City and surrounding towns, with peak capacity exceeding 20 million gallons.
With much of Fall River’s Water System being installed before the 1930s, updates to the system were and are still needed to keep the quality of the City’s water at a high level.
The Water System Master Plan calls for ongoing improvements to the water supply, treatment plant, and distribution system.